Question by d’Artagnan: How much spending money is advisable to take to Moscow?
I am travelling to Moscow Russia for the first time. How much spending money to use in restaurants for example should I take with me? Is it true that it is illegal to try to pay for anything using USD and only rubles are accepted? Are there places here in the US that I can change USD currency to rubles? I want to get this ready before I leave.
Answers and Views:
Answer by Norbert G
I don’t know exactly how much money you should take with you, but you will probably need a lot. Moscow is besides Tokyo the most expensive city in the world.
Answer by F T
The best option is use your Visa debit card to withdraw Roubles from the ATM’s in Moscow. To avoid getting your card blocked, inform your bank in advance that you are visiting Russia.
Alternatively, there are exchange booths everywhere for changing USD cash.
Paying for anything in USD will result in one thing, a very poor exchange rate.
Do pay cash as much as possible. Particularly in restaurants etc.
Spending is totally dependant on your lifestyle. Fast and buffet style food could set you back $ 10-20 a day. But the sky’s the limit on the upper end. I know one place that will charge you $ 20 for a glass of fresh orange juice in Moscow.
Answer by Anatoli
Russian national currency is ruble and everybody is supposed to use it. Like in the States.
Credit cards are widely accepted: at stores, restaurants, ATMs.
Instead of hunting for rubles in USA just have a $ 50 handy and exchange them at airport. X-rate will be a rip-off, but this will keep you going until you find a proper place to exchange your $ $ .
If you intend to withdraw cash from ATM – check commission rates charged by your bank first.
You may like to limit your credit limit before the trip, just in case. Having another card stored safely at your hotel would not hurt too.
Answer by dv1959dv
NEW GIRLFRIEND or just tourism ?
I guess you already booked hotel ? than depending on hotelprice you could spend similar everywhere ….
you know you might need visa before flying away ? 100$
best try speak some russian, always best … foreigners easy price up 30-100% !
everywhere banks and cash points so no problem … I understood above 10.000$ cash you need to declare in border but in principe NO limit to bring in, well to take out the country
If new girlfriend so, please take a lot with, you will need … Moscow can be VERY EXPENSIVE but also cheap enough, all depending what you like to do / not do
international shops & restaurants are among the most expensive in the world
taxi from airport to city can go up to a 100$ , best the local transport / metro … exciting
Answer by polynesian
1. there is no limit – you may spend a fortune in Moscow if you want. An average restaurant bill is $ 50-100 per person. Fast food / buffet $ 10-20, McDonalds from $ 5-6.
2. it is illegal to pay USD – only Roubles
3. no need to exchange USD for Roubles in US – change $ 50-100 in the Moscow airport, go to the city and find a place with a better x-rate – they are almost at every corner
5. a piece of advise on your transfer – take an Aeroexpress train from the airport – $ 10 and 35 minutes, while taxi is $ 100 and 1.5 hours. Aeroexpress is available from SVO-D,E,F, DME and VNK airports.
4. you may use your card but check with your bank how, ATM’s are abundant everywhere and you can withdraw both Roubles and USD, or pay in many shops / restaurants
Read all the answers in the comments.
What do you think?